A place where one girl shares her thoughts and opinions on life, politics, and the world today.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Please Stop Touching My Hair

So this is a bit of an odd topic to discuss, but it's something that I was thinking about today while battling a massive headache and upset stomach. Yeah, don't we all think of crazy things while we don't feel well? Anyways, I was thinking about how annoying it can be to be a ginger.

I'm not even talking about the "OMG GINGERS HAVE NO SOULS!!!!!" crap that goes around. That stuff doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I laugh it off and often tell them "Of course I don't, I took one too many self portraits and sucked my soul away!"

What gets to me are the people who act like it's so vastly different from other hair. Black people can back me up on this one. It's those people who think they have a right to touch my hair because it's red. I'm sorry, hands off. At least ask me first! Didn't we learn the "keep your hands to yourself" lesson in kindergarten? Apparently not.

The same thing applies to pregnant women. Just because she's pregnant does not give you the right to touch her belly! I've heard this complaint more than once.

I just don't understand where this mentality comes from in people.

Just because someone doesn't fit in with the majority doesn't mean that you, as a part of the majority, has some right to touch, poke, prod, comment, or otherwise be obnoxious about it.

And I know it's not everyone out there. But there are enough people who do it that it gets awfully annoying.

I also hate the people--yes, girls too--who are all "OMG I have a red head fetish so would you date me?"

I don't date people because they think my hair color is sexy. So sorry, but that's as bad as walking up to a woman and saying "You've got big boobs, so marry me." Grow up.

I understand that as a ginger, I make up a piece of the 10% of us who has red hair naturally. I understand that it is unusual, and you are curious. But dammit, respect my personal bubble! Open your mouth and ask me intelligent questions. I don't bite, I will respond.

And if you're lucky, I won't steal your soul since alas, mine is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment